KMD offers competitive benefits and salary commensurate with experience. The possibility of relocation is available.
KMD is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Submit resumes to: email@example.com.
Job Title: Junior Designer
JOB CODE: jk05132013
Job Location: San Francisco, CA
- Under the supervision of a licensed architect.
- Assist in predesign/planning and all phases of international and domestic large scale multistory mixed use, healthcare, retail, entertainment, high rise residential, cultural, museum, justice, education, and large scale commercial projects, including new construction, renovation, interiors, streetscapes, and site planning.
- Space programming, operational programming and equipment planning for clients’ specific healthcare project requirements.
- Produce key room diagrams, including hospital type spaces such as MRI room, operating rooms, imaging rooms, universal bed units for review with the clients and architectural project team to ensure correct space and quantity assumptions, code requirement, inter/intra departmental relationships and flow of personnel and material through the building.
- Analyze sketches, photographs, notes, and other input material to determine best approaches for completion of drawings to solve technical issues of design in relation to sites and buildings, client needs and utilize independent thinking and 2D/3D CAD and building information modeling programs, including Revit, AutoCAD, 3ds Max, SketchUp, Rhino, PhotoShop, Illustrator, InDesign, and freehand sketching with markers, ink, and pencils to develop design concepts and refine them into design solutions,
- Producing clear and compelling design presentations for design and concept development for projects and competitions requiring expedited concept development and document production.
- Apply own judgment, analysis and computer skills to develop 3D building computer models and images, and presentation images.
- Build physical models using digital fabrication software and laser cutter for design development and presentations.
- Site survey of existing conditions and take as built measurements.
- Incorporate space planning and custom detailing into designs.
- Translate clients' functional and spatial requirements for structures into feasible design solutions, incorporating structural engineering principles and building systems into architectural designs.
- Design and produce SD project booklet including diagrams, analysis of project required programs and phasing plans.
- Research materials and systems of building, incorporate LEED sustainable design principles and provide technical expertise for LEED implementation, focusing on solutions impacting the engineering and overall sustainability of the facility.
- Research compliance under CBC,IBC, ADA, ASHRAE requirements and other applicable federal, state or local codes and regulations.
- Collect data, and write reports and presentations to incorporate research and data into architectural designs.
- Research and develop exterior/interior materials specification, underground waterproof system, performance based exterior building envelopes, and exterior curtain wall system.
- Develop and produce construction documentation, including documenting architectural plans, elevations, and exterior/interior construction details in imperial or metric standards.
- Participate in meetings with clients, consultants, contractors, and public agencies on a given project and coordinate for client and agency review and approval
- Coordinate with civil, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire protection (MEP/FP), lighting, landscape, code, traffic, parking, kitchen, zoning, signage, acoustic, security, curtain wall, façade maintenance, special systems, geotechnical, vertical transportation, and structural consultants to incorporate engineering systems into unified design. Research and incorporate Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD) compliance to produce and respond to OSHPD review/comments document package in CD and CA phases.
- Perform necessary modifications of drawings and specifications as construction projects progress and changes in dimensions, materials, and other aspects of design arise from client, agency or public input.
- Apply architectural principles to review all related shop drawings, samples, mock ups, and cut sheets on materials & equipment
- Prepare bidding documents including addenda and maintain distribution registers.
- Record changes to the contract documents and construction document.
- Respond to requests for information (RFI’s), and review and respond to contractor change orders.
- Assist in establishing task schedule consistent with the project agreement.
- Assist in identifying weekly project requirements and projecting long term needs.
- Assist in managing project consultant agreements and project budgets.
- Assist in identifying and quantifying tasks outside the scope of the Owner-Architect agreement for negotiation of additional services.
- Construction administration via site visits and issuance of field observation reports. Review of structural construction for architectural coordination, HVAC system layout and installation, installation of lighting fixtures, and installation of electrical equipment. Conduct site visits, final inspections and prepare punch lists and record drawings and
- Review and prepare certificates of substantial completion, occupancy, and final completion.
- Participate in firm committees and research, analyze, identify, and present Integrated Project Delivery (IPD) method to the firm.
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture or foreign equivalent plus coursework or internships to include competitions and SD/DD phases of domestic and international commercial, multistory mixed use, high-rise residential, cultural, and institutional projects, including new construction and renovation.
- Preparing project presentations, communicating with clients, leading meetings with clients and managing design team schedule for international projects.
- Site survey of existing conditions and as-built measurements.
- Design and concept development using hand sketching with pencil, ink, marker, AutoCAD, 3ds Max, SketchUp, Rhino, PhotoShop, InDesign, and Illustrator.
- Incorporating structural engineering principles and building systems into architectural designs.
- Researching domestic and international building codes and regulations.
- Coordinating with clients and agencies for project approvals, with civil, MEP/FP, lighting, landscape, code, traffic, parking, kitchen, zoning, signage, acoustic, security, curtain wall, façade maintenance, special systems, vertical transportation, and structural consultants to incorporate engineering systems and
- Assisting in post-occupancy evaluation and review of clients’ use of space.
To be considered for this position, YOU MUST PLACE THE JOB CODE: jk05132013 in the subject line of your email or your resume will not be considered.
Submit resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org.